Sunday, April 3, 2016

Bocas to Panama Friday April 1st.

A day which began in a sleepy Caribbean island town and ended in the mania of Panama City. Full marks to Air Panama for pulling up on Bocas 'runway' scooping up us 20 passengers and taking off again within ten minutes.  We were waiting in a hut infested with brown crabs so I was keen to get away...
This was a ' proper" plane. It had a bathroom, we were served soft drink and crisps during the hours flight, impressive. The view was spectacular, white cloud peaks parting to expose the narrow green forested strip of Panama framed by the pacific and the Caribbean coast.

Flying low into the city I had a perfect view of the Panama Canal as a massive container ship negotiated the lock. The skyscrapers looming into view were disconcerting in comparison to the archipelago landscape. As I emerged blinking into the sun, cars instead of bikes rushed past me, I felt out of my depth and nervous. Panama City isn't one of the world's safest cities, but the taxi driver was lovely, chatting away in Spanish while we negotiated the traffic, depositing me safely at this welcoming hostel in the central district of El Canjero.
On the hostel balcony in the sunset...tired but ok!

No comments:

Post a Comment