Sunday, April 3, 2016

Panama City Saturday April 2nd.

Fueled by free breakfast I mustered up enough Spanish to negotiate a different room, as last night I d slept in what was more or less the kitchen cupboard. Now I m in what is more or less the garden shed. Still, this has room to open my luggage, there's free tea and coffee, a flower filled balcony, plus there's familiar faces, folk here I met in Cahuita. Great to see them again, the backpacking community is small and it's not the first time I I've remet people on my journey.

I had to summon up all my reserves of courage to leave the security of the hostel this morning. The fear I thought I pushed away was still lurking, casting a shadow over my natural adventurous self. Facing it full on I headed to the metro rather than take a taxi, which turned out fine. A metro is a metro anywhere in the world and the staff were expert at instructions and directions.
Wealthy neighbours..

My destination, Casa Viejo, the old city now being restored into a trendy upmarket area. This small neighbourhood is a surreal mixture of grand old houses, remodelled as luxury condos or still crumbling facades. Squatters in derelict buildings stared impassively as I and other tourists admired the impressive churches and the historic presidential palace, which towers imposingly over newly planted parks and walkways full of street vendors desperate to sell Panama hats. Kuna women wrapped in the traditional bright embroidered leggings sell everything from ankle bracelets to sofa pillows.
Casa Viejo

Colourful trendy Casa Viejo
View of the ' new city' from the old...
Casa Viejo churches

Panama hats everywhere...

I rejected the upmarket boutiques in favour of the down market discount shops along the route back to the metro. Saturday afternoon in the Panamanian Primark, a taste of Brighton in the 40 degree heat.
A sunset cuppa sharing traveller’s tales on the communal balcony while hummingbirds swooped through the blossoms and turquoise blue parrots patiently waited for our biscuit crumbs.
Panama's version of Primark
I watch the planes high above us; not long now until I m on my way home!

No comments:

Post a Comment