Thursday, January 21, 2016

Antigua...at last

Twenty four hours after leaving home,the body arrived safely, the mind and spirit got lost somewhere in the three hour queue for immigration during transit in USA.

What little I saw of night time Guatemala City was scary enough, unlit roads where unlit cars weaved around at random, armed guards lining the neon Macdonalds. Luckily my transfer was successful, and I fell into an exhausted sleep somewhere in Antigua.

Daylight far too soon, early risers here, today (wed) has vanished in a blur of sights, sounds, smells, blissful sunshine.  The dawn view from this hostel window is gratifyingly stupendous, smoke rising in a dark stream from the active volcano, white buildings ablaze with glorious blossom.
Antigua
Wandering in a daze admiring the architecture of famous cathedrals I bumped into the friendly Dutch girl who sat next to me enroute from Atlanta and we shared a delightful iced tea in the shade of a local cafe discussing our mutual jetlag.
Iced Tea time
As dusk fell the lava flow erupted from the volcano, the locals continued to throng the markets, I stood in awe prepared to run for cover...  Great firework show to welcome me in
Fuming Volcano

And a few fireworks!


No comments:

Post a Comment