The human body is an amazing thing. one good night's sleep and the mind, spirit and body have reunited and regrouped ready to face this new world. Never ceases to surprise me that even my aging system resets itself relatively swiftly. Thank god (any god).
This hostel helps, Chez Daniel is an upmarket place compared to many I am sure i have to encounter, but worth paying to start the trip in comfort-there is good hot water, wifi, comfy bed, and real luxury, a television with BBC World News. Very civilised.
This morning I hiked the first hill of the day, up to Cerro De La Cruz overlooking the town. This is Guatemalan winter, ‘only’ 25 degrees ish, and a mit chilly first and last thing, so easy walking temperature. I leapt up the steps like a gazelle. Antigua lay below, once hundreds of years ago the heart of Guatemala but destroyed by earthquake and floods, the last only in 1976. Major renovations over past and present keep the beautiful churches and monuments alive but amidst the stunning architecture are ruins at every turn.
Descending down the wooden steps I seized the opportunity passed on by Nancy, a Canadian woman living in Chez Daniel, in exchange for giving the owners free massages (good deal all round, methinks) to hop on a hotel's free shuttle to their cultural ‘park’ high in one of the other hills dominating the town.
This five star hotel has cultivated the landscape with a restaurant (great banana smoothie): and weird, eclectic art. Immaculate flower beds carved out eccentric patterns amidst fountains, aviaries, sculptures large and small. Restful, shady and all rather fun.
 |
| Nice view for Lunch |
 |
| Weird art in the park |
Back for coffee and sweet pastries and another climb, this time only to view the ruins of San Francisco and to admire the cathedral and park from the municipality offices balcony...bizarrely, whilst intimidating guards with enormous guns are everywhere, freedom to wander at will around public buildings seems quite acceptable (I hope).
 |
| View overlooking cathedral and Parque Central |
Everyone seems very smiley and genuinely helpful, although English is limited so I need to swiftly improve my Spanish! Supper of soup, spiced mango and fresh nachos as I type and watch the volcano spit red sparks into the dark sky. England is indeed a long way away now.
 |
| Many ruins |
I
No comments:
Post a Comment