Monday, January 25, 2016

Chichi Market

Not quite the quiet day uncovering the lakeside villages nestling in the shadows of the volcanoes I had planned. Instead the young couple with a two year old in the room next door persuaded me to arise early again to join them in a foray to the famous Chichi market, an hours bus ride away. Carpe diem!

Early rising is not an issue. The roosters are shrieking at dawn. Plus the dogs, and it being Saturday...the party goers continue til daybreak. Hostel life. Deep joy. Still the dawn is a great time to sit outside with a cuppa as the sun lifts the hills into life.  As our overcrowded bus chugged into the mountains the villages were bustling with market traders thronging to join the streets of Chichi, the largest market in Guatemala.
Chichi Market - flower sellers on the church steps
Guatamalan wall decorations
However, by Indian standards it is relatively small(ish) so unlike my new found friends I found the crowds manageable(ish) and could  appreciate the fantastic varieties of anything and everything... So many different types of clothes, artwork, food, produce alive and dead, plus stupendous flowers. Amazing sights and a Great ‘ vibe’, plus there was even good strong coffee, much appreciated. Hassle, yes, as always, but good natured, cheerful and, this time at least, not intimating.
Live animals for sale. At least these walked out unlike the chickens which get slung in a bag!

USA friends checking out the cheap dental care
Great fun, worth the trip, although tonight I am now even more tired than I was when I could blame jetlag. A (slow) evening stroll by the lake on our return and I'm off to bed ...in the vain hope that there will be a 'silent night' at some point. The Guatemala lifestyle seems to be an outside one, no one goes inside much even to sleep. Lovely people but very sociable and  lively!
Driving back..much of the cane and corn now cut back for winter but hillsides are lush, terraced cultivation rising high up the slopes ready for new crop

Lake Attilan slopes at sunset

1 comment:

  1. pleased to hear its going well Richard begins his journey to the USA tomorrow

    ReplyDelete