Thursday, January 28, 2016

San Juan and sweet dreams

The roosters were up early today and so was I. This is true hostel living, no sound proofing, no privacy and often no sleep! On the plus side it does have a great garden and roof terrace, is just a few steps from the lake and has a tame parrot always keen to say hello in any language.
I intended to head to Santiago, but ended up on the ferry to San Juan. (Boats go when full, and I couldn't face the long wait for Santiago). San Juan is a more arts and crafts version of San Marco, a pleasant way to spend the morning exploring the handicrafts at every corner.
Guatamalan Lanes
Sitting on a deserted pier for my lunch I was befriended by a stork who followed my progress along the shore as I followed the shade. Just him, me and time to dream. Time stands still here and I can feel myself slowing down in tune.

We moved from pier to shore...together
Ambling at the waters edge I could see vestiges of the village swallowed by the rising levels. Farmers are painstakingly cultivating the new banks into allotments, while higher up coffee beans dominate the landscape. Tonight the sunset illuminated the volcanoes lining the lake in glorious technicolour, variegated greens, blues and browns in fluorescent hues. Magnificent.
Watching the sun set

No comments:

Post a Comment