Tuesday, a week since I left England and it feels an age ago. I am writing this on a roof terrace under the stars beneath the lemon tree whilst eating fresh fruit and tortillas. Guatemala is such a beautiful country and here at Lake Atitlan, relaxing listening to gentle guitar music from a nearby cafe drifting up, I feel completely at peace...albeit mildly sunburned.
 |
| Sunrise over the Lake |
Today I took the shuttle boat to San Marco where I met up with Troy, Kari and Sage for breakfast. San Marco is tiny and a mix of local people and commune style hostals. Crystals, tarot cards and the like vie for space alongside the artisans. Health food shops line up next to traditional shacks. Perfect, if only I was 25 years younger. I wish!
After pottering the tiny lanes we went on to San Pedro for a wonderful lazy lunch. Thanks to the USA contingent running many of the cafes, we discovered the most amazing peanut butter pie I have ever tasted. Iced coffee and pie. Fabulous.
 |
| Fisherman on the Lake |
As the afternoon waves began to build I left them for the return boat to Pana, as bumpy as yesterday, but also as mesmerising, rainbow colours flashing in the waves reflections as we soared across the waters.
The evening lakeside stroll, this time along the quieter lanes away from the centre, watching the locals mine the creek for whatever they can find and fishing in the shallows. Darkness has fallen now, the heat has risen, the storms of a few days ago a distant memory. I can, and probably will, sit here for hours.
 |
Sunset
|
No comments:
Post a Comment