Wednesday, February 3, 2016

half way to nowhere

Currently in the most basic hotel known to woman ( well, me). Shared bathrooms limited in number and usabilities. Bed may as well be outside given the cardboard walls. But its only £7 and a pitstop enroute to the famed Semuc Champney national park.

My transport down from Xela was ' interesting'. An ancient car driven by a wizened chap with a mouthful of gold teeth collected me from the hostel where, as I had no choice, I trusted him with myself and all my worldly goods. The staff saw nothing strange in it so I had to believe it would be fine...which it was.
Emitting horrendous noises and enough smoke to burn our own hole in the ozone layer we swerved at breakneck speed along bad dirt track roads until emerging two hours later at a gas station in the middle of nowhere where, miracle of miracles, was a proper shuttle bus. And the driver was expecting me! The other passengers looked mildly bemused by my sudden appearance but I have to say the transport system between hostels, haphazard and notoriously unreliable, this time turned up trumps.

Five hours later I arrived back in Antigua, time to stretch my sore limbs by climbing the hill above the town, collecting my favourite liquorice buns for supper and resting on the rooftop terrace admiring the view.
Tomorrow is the long haul, 8 hours plus with a following wind...there is no wifi in Semuc Champney, so ramblings and pics will follow as and when I reappear into civilisation. Watch this space...

1 comment:

  1. Love the sound of licorice buns. So much more exotic than hot cross buns now in the shops. Look forward to hearing your adventures once you are back on line cx

    ReplyDelete