A final dawn liaison with my friendly hummingbird to end my stay in Leon. I will miss our early morning trysts. Each day I have emerged here bleary eyed from my oven like room to sit in the still cool air, drinking in the silence.
Whilst the hostel sleeps the birds and I share the fragrant garden, the hummingbird bird fluttering like a tiny angel darting in and out of the flowers.
Today I bid this beautiful bird farewell and left Leon aboard a shuttle for a four hour run to Granada. Nicaragua is so small compared to Guatemala, distances are short, though, as there, nothing much exists between the few main towns. Empty vistas only tiny villages, isolated farms, fringed with looming volcanos. A burnt orange dust, the remains of harvest cast a yellow tinge over the landscape
Arriving here mid afternoon I adopted usual tactic of setting off to explore and getting very lost! Luckily Granada is small, smaller than Leon, with the traditional central park area full of stalls, and today a Saturday fiesta with national dancing in full swing, and numerous churches.
 |
| Leon spires at dusk |
 |
| Sat night festive time in Granada |
A power cut as night fell plunges the town into true darkness and sent me into a panic about locating this small hostel tucked away in a side street but it is centrally located and I got 'home' easily. Now the power is back and I am immersed in the delights of BBC world news. This is the first time I had a TV since my first week in Antigua. I have not missed it at all but I realise I have no idea what was going on in the world, let alone England. Strange sensation.
 |
| Typical Guatemalan street |
No comments:
Post a Comment