Honestly one of the scariest, most exhilarating, days of my life so far. Volcano boarding is 'the' action adventure to do in Leon so I had to do it. What an amazing adventure, pure, absolute adrenaline rush.
Set off at daybreak in the pick up with quetzal trekkers, the NGO charity with the best (well deserved) reputation for safety. I was by far the eldest of the 10 of us in the truck but the guides, one American and one local, were confident I could make it. I was not so sure. but hate being beaten. Although as our truck bumped higher and higher away from the town my nerves increased with each vertical mile.
I took the precaution of paying a local teenager 100 Cordoba ( @£2.50) to carry my board and the heavy pack with my suit, goggles, gloves, 2 litres of water, sunscreen, etc, worth every penny, as we left the truck and hiked another strenuous hour vertically up the sheer volcanic slopes.
 |
| Volcano boarding.. Ready to set off |
No shelter from the incredible strong winds whipping around the summit as we scrambled up over uneven rocks and shifting dust. I had to be held by the guide at times even without the board on my back. With it I think I would have taken off and flown down airborne.
 |
| Heading up the hill. |
 |
| Half way up |
 |
| Near the top! |
The biting dust swirled everywhere. My ears, eyes, hair... everything was black within minutes. My skin was battered by flying particles of sharp stones. Struggling into the protective suit at the summit against the elements took a phenomenal amount of effort.
 |
| Trying to keep my balance in the wind at summit |
And then... we rounded the crater and I saw the sheer grey black volcano side disappear into the distance
OMG. I had to slide off on a wooden tin tray into that void. I have rarely been so terrified in my entire life.
The guide was calm, reassuringly gentle, took my pack for me to help me control the descent. Then she pushed me off and there was no going back.
 |
| Going down...the guide took this! |
Unlike my fellow boarders who showed no fear, I dug my heels in, literally, sank up to my knees in black dust, and slid ungracefully and very slowly down. Every bone was trembling with fear.
I finally fell off about two thirds down and an experienced trekker took my board from me, took my shaking hands, and we ran together through a sea of dark dust to the bottom. Truly exhilarating, exciting, amazing adventure.
 |
| Me at the bottom... Elated!! And very very tired... |
 |
| At the bottom!! I made it down the volcano |
Wolfing down free veggie burritos at the ranger station (I was starving) I literally fell into the truck and lay exhausted against the roll bars for the hours ride back. I finished the day sleeping by the pool. But, tired, aching, sore, and burnt black by sun and dust... I can't stop smiling. A never to be repeated adventure and I am so pleased I conquered my fear and boarded the volcano!
No comments:
Post a Comment