Monday, February 22, 2016

Monday. Leon, day 1.

At dawn I sat outside in the welcome breeze and watched a hummingbird dive into the flowers beside me! Which made me feel much better after a sleepless night. (No air con here, when I could really do with it).
Free coffee helped revive my spirit, and I spent the morning wandering Leon, getting hopelessly lost as usual but admiring the stunning architecture, the teeming dark markets and disconcertingly busy streets. First task, find local money. Second task, buy local food. The sweet custard I brought for brunch turned out to be cheese pancake. ...I really must improve my Spanish.
Atop cathedral in Leon...feeling the heat!

Then to the central landmark of the main cathedral, where by asking around I found out for a small donation and leaving my shoes behind I could climb the roof for a glorious view of the town and distant volcanos.
High on cathedral roof.
Officially known as the Basílica de la Asunción, León’s cathedral is the largest in Central America, its expansive design famous thorough Latin America. It is extremely ornate, with gleaming white roof top copulas and numerous bell towers.



As I write I am sitting in the shade by the pool waiting for the day to cool down. After the relative cool of Guatemala I am struggling in the 35 degree sun. The town is taking a siesta and so am I.

No comments:

Post a Comment