Two days wandering the streets of this engaging town, swimming in the pool here at lazybones hostel and gazing at a perfect sunset at the nearby beach.
 |
| Swimming pool at lazybones hostel |
Leon is perfect for acclimatising to the subtle but distinct difference between Guatemala and Nicaragua. The university here gives a cosmopolitan feel to this historic city, there is a vibrant cultural scene and there is a visible, strong contingent of backpackers. I have met with a warm welcome from friendly folk, local and tourist alike.
The churches, literally at every corner, are jaw droppingly beautiful, albeit rather decrepit. Leon's colourful colonial buildings reverberate with history likewise in a crumbling, style. The numerous markets are a warren of the familiar and strange. Less avocado and veg, more fruit, to my eyes, but just as many bakeries, cakes and pastries. My diet is pure sugar some days...
 |
| stunning churches in leon |
I love this quiet friendly hostel, with its great staff. The heat makes nights sweltering (there is no air conditioning here, alas) but they change the sheets daily, which is a nice touch. The pool is the perfect antidote to the city heat.
 |
| Good try at getting my name right! |
An absorbing, civilised, morning passed immersed in art at the contemporary gallery here renowned to be the best in Central America, with a fascinating Miro collection plus a bizarre display of modern sculpture and paintings, many of which defy description. Imagination run riot in these artists minds!
There is a daily afternoon shuttle to the nearby beach of Las Pinetas, 20 kms away, a drive which winds through rural Nicaragua, past horse and cart, tiny villages, and ends in a deserted stretch of sand and surf where I sat in silence and gazed in awe as the translucency red orb of the setting sun dropped into the ocean and night descended over the silver moon lit waves.
As I write the wind is rising and the dense heat abating so I shall seize the welcome respite to continue my Nicaragua exploration. There is much to learn still after Guatemala and I need to practise my bludgeoning Spanish.
No comments:
Post a Comment