My final day in Flores and I have lived it like a local.
Morning and a typical Guatemalan breakfast of toast, eggs, refried beans, fried plantains and copious coffee (£1.50 good value to be found in a small dark backstreet cafe recommended by fellow travellers for good reason).
Then a wander over the bridge, pausing to admire the pelicans, to the mainland town of Santa Elena to browse the massive market. Bargains in the second hand stall, two tops for 10p each. Brilliant. Because as usual I have brought the wrong type of clothes. ....it is always impossible to visualise in England what I will actually need wherever I’m going.
Lunch, time to spend with the family. In my case a long happy Skype call home that cheered me up immensely. The time difference can make this hard to organise and I get very homesick. Perfect tonic!
An afternoon country walk and a stroll over the water in San Miguel island. This time the footpaths made sense. I am learning the ways of rural Guatemala, carrying a stick to ward off wayward dogs and monkeys. Alas, I failed on the dog front today. One nasty specimen attacked my ankles. I hope he didn't have rabies or this will be the last entry for a while....
Home to Flores for the sunset with a little help from strangers. These folk are so kind. I walked further than intended and could see the only way to get back quicker to the ferry was to cut across the water inlets. Two fishermen were pushing off from the bank and I seized the chance to ask for a lift in sign language. Bless them, they rowed back, helped me into their canoe, rowed me round to the next cove and waved me off without taking a penny for their trouble. Universal language of goodwill. Just lovely.
Supper on the lake front from my favourite stall, veggie filled spiced tacos, eaten al fresco sitting on the steps watching the sunset. A day filled with familiar pleasures.
Tomorrow I bid farewell to Flores and head back down south to the Caribbean coastal town of Livingstone. I am planning to stay in a finca (farm) on the riverbank where there is no wifi. It is an eco hostel only reached by boat. Five torturous hours on the bus await, then an hour down river. I am a tad anxious tonight. Hopefully it will be worth it.
Blog TBC when I re-emerge into civilisation.
Morning and a typical Guatemalan breakfast of toast, eggs, refried beans, fried plantains and copious coffee (£1.50 good value to be found in a small dark backstreet cafe recommended by fellow travellers for good reason).
Then a wander over the bridge, pausing to admire the pelicans, to the mainland town of Santa Elena to browse the massive market. Bargains in the second hand stall, two tops for 10p each. Brilliant. Because as usual I have brought the wrong type of clothes. ....it is always impossible to visualise in England what I will actually need wherever I’m going.
Lunch, time to spend with the family. In my case a long happy Skype call home that cheered me up immensely. The time difference can make this hard to organise and I get very homesick. Perfect tonic!
An afternoon country walk and a stroll over the water in San Miguel island. This time the footpaths made sense. I am learning the ways of rural Guatemala, carrying a stick to ward off wayward dogs and monkeys. Alas, I failed on the dog front today. One nasty specimen attacked my ankles. I hope he didn't have rabies or this will be the last entry for a while....
Home to Flores for the sunset with a little help from strangers. These folk are so kind. I walked further than intended and could see the only way to get back quicker to the ferry was to cut across the water inlets. Two fishermen were pushing off from the bank and I seized the chance to ask for a lift in sign language. Bless them, they rowed back, helped me into their canoe, rowed me round to the next cove and waved me off without taking a penny for their trouble. Universal language of goodwill. Just lovely.
![]() |
| One last sunset over Flores |
![]() |
| Street food by the lake |
Blog TBC when I re-emerge into civilisation.
![]() |
| Sunset at Flores |



No comments:
Post a Comment