It is impossible to describe the natural beauty of Semuc Champney. I’m glad I have stayed a while, despite the lack of power, my stone hut with its own built in wildlife infrastructures (it’s the rock worms which I hate! Give me rats any day, I’m phobic about wriggly things, ugh) and the very basic food options, this unique phenomenon has won me over.
| Hiking towards Semuc Champney |
| The pools at Semuc Champney |
| Time for a swim |
I am captivated by the place, like so many before me. Walking daily from the hostel to the park through twisty lush green hills, past odd shacks where farmers cultivate the rich wetland, underneath plantain trees, alongside the rushing river bank entranced by hummingbirds, butterflies, birds of every possible size and colour, has been a continual joy. The park is, as yet, unspoilt, basic signs point through thick vegetation to sheer climbs for spectacular views, to poolside shallows to slide into pools and float with the fish, and, for those braver than me, to enter the vast cave system of KaBa.
Impromptu shanty cafes are popping up at the entrance and local people chase tourists offering beer, water, fruit..very low key at the minute. Long may it last. I feel very privileged to have seen these natural wonders, and as a tourist myself it would be hypocritical to be negative, especially as there is real poverty here helped by money brought in by people like me, but there is a real wonder in this wild untamed valley which I hope can stay untouched. Coming back tonight a local family recognised me and waved me into their wooden hut where I was presented with tortillas, eggs and beans, wrapped in banana skin. I offered 20 q, more than the going rate ( £2) but I was touched and they were so happy it was my pleasure! I haven't eaten the supper yet...it is keeping warm in a towel. I am off for Flores at dawn tomorrow so may use discretion on the food front!
Adiós Semuc Champney. Onwards to Flores and another long day on the road tomorrow.
Glad you enjoyed it! Utopia is a funny old place, and the chocolate tour is great fun. It really is a stunning place, and I really hope that it doesn't get spoilt by the tourist run. Flores is a beautiful town (and actually feels developed, with some brilliant food if i remember correctly), and Tikal is wonderful, I'm sure you'll love it!
ReplyDeleteWe were talking about you at the holiday show at Olympia. Looking at all the places you are visiting. Entered a competition to win a trip to Costa Rico so we might be out soon if we win. C&P x
ReplyDelete