So...it took me a day to work out Panama is an hour ahead of Costa Rica. Time isn't a factor unless there's a bus to catch and, in my defence, the sunset here is an hour later hence why I simply didn't realise yesterday. I put my instinctive sense that the day was a long one down to the journey....
Today proved to be unexpectedly adventurous, a great boost to my morale. Once I discovered it was 8 am and not 7 am I threw a few beach bits into the rucksack and set off to explore the islands. There are tours but I am ' tour-ed out' so headed to the cheap co operative water taxis. Three dollars, ten minutes of ouch inducing ride (the swell is high, great for surfers but not such fun on a boat) and I arrived at Bastimento.
My intention was to walk through the village over the island to wizard’s beach, as recommended by fellow travellers. Nervously striding out alone along the forest path I was watching over my shoulder constantly until I made it down to this quiet surfing beach where I sat with a friendly American couple chatting and sharing biscuits.
Their plan was to walk on to the most well known beach, "red frog", a national park around the island headland and they invited me to join them. We divided up any valuables into our underwear as the track is a common area for petty crime, so it wasn't me being unduly cautious, and set off into the dense jungle.
The track was well concealed, especially after recent storms. An hour of sinking into mud, climbing over rocks, ducking under trees, slipping down vine covered slopes, and we made it! With our assets intact :) and my self confidence restored.
Red frog beach is a long sandy stretch lined with restaurants. We parted amicably as they went for lunch while I, always a cheapskate, found the local BBQ stall hidden behind them and had a fabulous baked potato, I was famished, it tasted amazing!
Walking back to find a water taxi I actually saw one of the minute red frogs the island is named after. It is truly tiny, I would never have seen it without following the people with cameras clustered around the tree and even then I needed my glasses.
I’m regaining my equilibrium now, its been a fun day in good company. I feel 'at home' in Bocas town even though it's busier here than the islands Tonight I found the small art house cinema, tucked in a backstreet, and met another English woman; a rare encounter in itself but even better, a social worker who lives in Brighton. We passed a pleasant hour bonding until the film started (The Danish Girl...the system works in that the first person who turns up picks the film, what a great idea).
I went back to my hotel rather than stay, my eyes are closing so I’d just sleep through the film. Plus, I am still relishing the novelty of television and air conditioning. Its a rare expense, a guest house not a hostel, but omg it's blissfully relaxing after today's energetic excursion to have a cool room and easy entertainment.
Today proved to be unexpectedly adventurous, a great boost to my morale. Once I discovered it was 8 am and not 7 am I threw a few beach bits into the rucksack and set off to explore the islands. There are tours but I am ' tour-ed out' so headed to the cheap co operative water taxis. Three dollars, ten minutes of ouch inducing ride (the swell is high, great for surfers but not such fun on a boat) and I arrived at Bastimento.
My intention was to walk through the village over the island to wizard’s beach, as recommended by fellow travellers. Nervously striding out alone along the forest path I was watching over my shoulder constantly until I made it down to this quiet surfing beach where I sat with a friendly American couple chatting and sharing biscuits.
Their plan was to walk on to the most well known beach, "red frog", a national park around the island headland and they invited me to join them. We divided up any valuables into our underwear as the track is a common area for petty crime, so it wasn't me being unduly cautious, and set off into the dense jungle.
The track was well concealed, especially after recent storms. An hour of sinking into mud, climbing over rocks, ducking under trees, slipping down vine covered slopes, and we made it! With our assets intact :) and my self confidence restored.
Red frog beach is a long sandy stretch lined with restaurants. We parted amicably as they went for lunch while I, always a cheapskate, found the local BBQ stall hidden behind them and had a fabulous baked potato, I was famished, it tasted amazing!
![]() |
| Red Frog Beach |
Walking back to find a water taxi I actually saw one of the minute red frogs the island is named after. It is truly tiny, I would never have seen it without following the people with cameras clustered around the tree and even then I needed my glasses.
![]() |
| Red Frog |
I went back to my hotel rather than stay, my eyes are closing so I’d just sleep through the film. Plus, I am still relishing the novelty of television and air conditioning. Its a rare expense, a guest house not a hostel, but omg it's blissfully relaxing after today's energetic excursion to have a cool room and easy entertainment.


No comments:
Post a Comment