Fond farewell to Costa Rica, the airport taxi driver only charged me half fare when he heard about the robbery so I would leave with positive thoughts of his country folk, bless him. So I did!
Nearly didn't leave at the airport when I saw the 'plane'. A ten seater, (no bathroom) the pilot joined us in the bus out from the terminal to the field where it was strapped down and shook our hands before asking us to join in prayer. So I did!
Ear protectors on, we trundled off, hovering just above the tree line. Nature Air very apt name, nearest I’ve come to a canopy walk this trip, I was at eye level with the birds, honestly. Not exactly a smooth ride either.
When we finally descended everyone ignored the immigration booth and made a dash for the bathroom.
Just as well as the chap 'manning' the booth had taken lessons from the US, talk about painstakingly slow.
Eventually the 7 of us emerged into a deserted ghost town, it being the noon downtime. No chance of a taxi. I started to lug my bag up the main Street feeling like I'd landed on the set of a Western when a kind local couple came to help. Refusing my offer of a tip they took me to the door of this hostel before leaving with smiles and waves.
An hour later I was finally ensconced in an upmarket (by my standards) room, with a/c and a TV. Original room was a cupboard, but when I burst into tears, inadvertently, my emotions are still raw, the lovely staff quickly found me an upstairs suite with a little balcony. Great welcome to Panama.
Bocas town is an eclectic colourful collection of clapboard houses, restaurants, town beach and docks for the neighbouring islands. It is peak season, a popular holiday spot for Panamanian and Costa Rican as well as travellers, but my first impression is that I like it. It's fun to be in a town rather than a village and there's a cheerful, hippy style feel. Yoga retreats, organic delicatessen, spa shops (I should have my eyebrows done..I look like a monkey) alongside the usual suspects of markets, groceries, cafes, bars. The town is on a spur surrounded by water so there's a relative cool breeze, a real relief after the rainforest humidity.
This is my base for the Easter week, so hopefully my first impressions aren't wrong! Islands to visit, hikes to do, bikes to rent, so keeping occupied isn’t an issue and I feel much more like my previous robbery self now. The Brussels bombs have put things into perspective. Those poor people...the world has gone mad. I genuinely appreciate how lucky I am to be safe and sound in this beautiful place.
Nearly didn't leave at the airport when I saw the 'plane'. A ten seater, (no bathroom) the pilot joined us in the bus out from the terminal to the field where it was strapped down and shook our hands before asking us to join in prayer. So I did!
Ear protectors on, we trundled off, hovering just above the tree line. Nature Air very apt name, nearest I’ve come to a canopy walk this trip, I was at eye level with the birds, honestly. Not exactly a smooth ride either.
When we finally descended everyone ignored the immigration booth and made a dash for the bathroom.
Just as well as the chap 'manning' the booth had taken lessons from the US, talk about painstakingly slow.
Eventually the 7 of us emerged into a deserted ghost town, it being the noon downtime. No chance of a taxi. I started to lug my bag up the main Street feeling like I'd landed on the set of a Western when a kind local couple came to help. Refusing my offer of a tip they took me to the door of this hostel before leaving with smiles and waves.
An hour later I was finally ensconced in an upmarket (by my standards) room, with a/c and a TV. Original room was a cupboard, but when I burst into tears, inadvertently, my emotions are still raw, the lovely staff quickly found me an upstairs suite with a little balcony. Great welcome to Panama.
Bocas town is an eclectic colourful collection of clapboard houses, restaurants, town beach and docks for the neighbouring islands. It is peak season, a popular holiday spot for Panamanian and Costa Rican as well as travellers, but my first impression is that I like it. It's fun to be in a town rather than a village and there's a cheerful, hippy style feel. Yoga retreats, organic delicatessen, spa shops (I should have my eyebrows done..I look like a monkey) alongside the usual suspects of markets, groceries, cafes, bars. The town is on a spur surrounded by water so there's a relative cool breeze, a real relief after the rainforest humidity.
![]() |
| Bocas |


No comments:
Post a Comment