Today was my day to hike the 1400 metres to the top of Mombacho Volcano. Towering over Granada, this one is not extinct but the last eruption occurred in 1570, it seemed a safe bet, despite the steam vents lurking along the way to trap the unwary.
 |
| Through the rock tunnel left by last eruption |
There are two options, by four wheel drive, or trek. So being an idiot I opted to hike the sheer slopes, which were at least paved (ish) thanks to the tourist truck runs. I took the local guide with only two others (driving is a more popular option, funnily enough) and off we set. Fortunately the other two were also not young! So the two hour climb passed at an easy companionable pace.
The cloud forest at the top was great, the fresh wind a welcome relief. Short break for free Gatorade and we were off again on the crater ring with its superb views of Granada, Lake Nicaragua, Laguna del Apoya and surrounding countryside.
 |
| View from the top |
 |
| Looking down over Granada |
 |
| That's the islands from yesterday below me! |
 |
| Laguna del Apoya from Mombacho volcano |
Our guide was expert at spotting the diverse fauna, flora, birds, monkeys and to my absolute delight a lazy sloth, who sat contentedly in his tree refusing to budge even when our guide tried to coax him down.
 |
| A sloth! I know how he feels... |
The walk back down through the deserted forest, brightly coloured butterflies darting around, past coffee plantations and the odd isolated farm was really enjoyable despite the tiredness. I got back here at 5pm, sat down in the garden and promptly fell asleep. Only the need for food forced me out into Granada's hectic twilight streets. The dusk casts the church spires in sharp relief, shapes I saw from above in the sky earlier now peer down at me. I am ready for bed and it is only 8 pm.
 |
| Leon at Dusk |
No comments:
Post a Comment