A culture shock to be back on the mainland. The traffic, shops, cafes, people...being in a town again after the wilderness isolation of Ometepe is disconcerting. And here in the beach resort of San Juan del Sur I am not just in a town but right in tourist territory.
The beach is glorious, a long expanse of golden sands and breaking surf. It is holiday central for Nicaraguans and a Mecca for travellers due to the neon strip and pubs which give this place it's party reputation. I am staying well away from the nightlife, in more ways than one, in a small bed and breakfast on a hill overlooking the bay.
Today passed in a blur of packing up, unpacking, taxi, ferry, buses, and sitting in various travel offices organising my Costa Rica border crossing (duly sorted). Although I managed to get down to the golden sands in time for sunset joining the walkers and joggers for their daily exercise.
Most exciting part of today...free aircon!!! Just for one night, as my fan blew up, but given the intense unremitting heat this is pure luxury. I am cold, a forgotten sensation, and it is wonderful. An evening to relish the chill. The town may be partying but I am curled up in bed with my book savoring the sensory bliss of the cool air swirling around me.
The beach is glorious, a long expanse of golden sands and breaking surf. It is holiday central for Nicaraguans and a Mecca for travellers due to the neon strip and pubs which give this place it's party reputation. I am staying well away from the nightlife, in more ways than one, in a small bed and breakfast on a hill overlooking the bay.
![]() |
| San Juan del Sur |
Most exciting part of today...free aircon!!! Just for one night, as my fan blew up, but given the intense unremitting heat this is pure luxury. I am cold, a forgotten sensation, and it is wonderful. An evening to relish the chill. The town may be partying but I am curled up in bed with my book savoring the sensory bliss of the cool air swirling around me.

No comments:
Post a Comment