Monday, March 14, 2016

Tortuguero day 2

A thunderous overnight storm, hailstones crashing down on these tin roofs. Impossible to sleep due to din and heat, as no power equals no fan. But it was fun, in a weird way, lying listening to the power of nature.

A trek through the rainforest in the clear post storm air was a delight. Having dutifully trotted the 500 yards from my beach hut to pay, the rangers waved me in for free. Apparently, a) I am staying here, which they much prefer over tour parties as it helps the local economy and b) when asked the usual question as to why I was here (I reckon I must be the only solo female English woman of a certain age ever seen travelling here) I explained about Colin’s conservation volunteering, and they were very excited as the work is much appreciated. Thank you Colin, that saved me 15 dollars!

For three hours there was just me and the wildlife. The monkeys were often not too happy at being disturbed, throwing sticks down to warn me away. The butterflies, insects, birds, lizards, ants...hundreds of ants...the sloth and the snakes all ignored me. Thankfully.
Solo wildlife hunting...with my camera !
Hike pics...this monkey scared me!
Butterfly....

in more detail

Watch where you're walking!

Star burst forest
I'm watching you!

Afterwards I swam in the 'pool' here, newly built in a bid to promote tourism, although it is so small I bruised my legs trying a breast stroke! Refreshing, if a bit odd swimming in a tiny patch of land sandwiched between waves, river and rainforest. Bizarre selection of views.

A walk along the beach as the sun set, watching hoards of butterflies streak through the darkening skies. At night there is nothing to do but read so I can indulge this pleasure with a clear conscience, safely curled up inside, cool under my fan, listening to the roaring waves and the cries of nocturnal animals roaming the jungle outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment