Day 2 in this small 'farm' (finca), surrounded by this stunning landscape. The kaleidescope of colours iridescent in the sun, the variegated volcanos merging into the blue lake, the brown road carving its way between them.
 |
| The road around the island |
 |
| The island bus..which unloaded the man's bags ( he was waiting for it by the roadside) ..obviously the bus doubles as a pick up from the mainland service! |
This morning I rented a bike for the first time since leaving England. Bikes here come in one size..men's large! This does not make for an easy ride. Nor does the stony dirt track with its switchback hills. But I managed to negotiate the 5 kms to one of petroglyphs which dot the island.
Ometepe is famous for these ancient carvings from the Indian natives, dating from, 300 BC. The ones I saw
today were inside a local village commune, where for one dollar my teenage 'guide' helped me scramble through fledgling water melon fields and across rocks until the mysterious symbols revealed themselves (thankfully, there was a moment where I suspected I was on a wild goose chase).
 |
| Petroglyphs |
This afternoon I walked the dust road to the neighbouring village, source of two 'pulperia', grocery stores, always handy to know. My nerve failed me when it came to swimming in the lake, the close proximity of monkeys, vultures, hawks, and, more worryingly, insects, changed my swim to a paddle.
 |
| Monkeys outside the cabin |
The view is so enchanting, the peace so blissful, sitting in my porch gazing out is an occupation which has happily consumed much of the day. Now, for the first time, I truly appreciate the beauty of Nicaragua
 |
| Walking back from the beach to the cabins in the shadow of the volcano |
 |
| Watching dusk fall from the porch |
No comments:
Post a Comment