Today a hike with a difference. One in which, when I was literally on my ' last legs', I was rescued by a great group of friendly young Scandinavian travellers and their assorted vehicles.
I had set off early to trek to the waterfalls at San Ramon, easy walking at first in the cool morning breeze. Up and up I strode through the forest, clutching my 2 litres of water, admiring the largest blue butterflies I have even seen, watching turquoise magpies chatter in the trees, staring up the white faced capuchin monkeys peering down at me through the leaves...until I realised I had been walking two hours with no sign of life or cascades. The only water in sight was my drinking bottle.
 |
| Magpies everywhere |
Then, like a mirage, out of the dust stormed group of quad bikers, parking beside me as I sat exhausted on a rock. These lovely, kind hearted, generous spirited Scandinavian travellers took me under their wing, carrying my bag and water for the final hours' vertical scramble to the pools. There is not much ' fall' in this dry season but there was a welcome cold spray from the waterfall as it descended from the cloud forest high in the heavens.
 |
| By cascades |
Revived by our shower under the falls, these fantastic strangers took my rucksack for the steep hop, roll and slide back down until we reached their transport. Four hours after I left Finca Mystica I was on the back of a scooter being taken bumpily but speedily down the hill I had painstakingly walked earlier. Then I was transferred to a quad bike and driven 'home'.
 |
| My saviours...taxi!! |
The kindness of strangers never ceases to amaze me and I will be forever grateful to these young people who came to my aid. I shall remember the cascades with affection, not just the spectacular scenery but also for the chance meeting with such great folks.
No comments:
Post a Comment