Another 5 am start for the trek out to this unique national park. I have wanted to come here ever since Colin regaled us with tales of his time volunteering far into the jungle, and whilst I will not make it into the deep recesses of his remote base, I have made it to Tortuguero
The Tortuguero National Park in the north of Costa Rica is famous for dense high rainforests, marshy bog lands, long stretches of beach, wide open canals full of crocodiles etc, and is also one of the most important breeding grounds for the Green Sea Turtle. The wildlife here is supposed to be among the most rich and diverse in the world, with unusually large populations of monkeys, birds and fish, many of which I saw just getting here today.
I opted for the shuttle option today, which basically meant I took the first half of a one day tour coming here from San Jose. I couldn't face another bus! And as I got a free city sightseeing tour around the historical architecture of the city whilst we picked up the group and also got a free breakfast (Much appreciated, I missed food out almost entirely yesterday and I was starving) plus an English speaking guide, it was a great option.
We stopped during the drive to the boat through rural countryside to admire sloths, monkeys, the most amazing parrots and birds, banana plantations with their 'mechanised' packing, and coffee plantations. I am struck by how lush and green Costa Rica is after dried out Nicaragua. The reason being obvious - The rain which fell this morning as it does most days, then clearing to leave glorious sunshine. Here rivers flow, crops grow, the economy is booming.
 |
| Bananas on their way to be processed |
After a few hours we boarded the boat for the hour upriver to Tortuguero, cruising gently through the narrow waters and then the wider lake until we arrived at the dock. The village is small, a base for those of us staying rather than heading back to the bright lights of civilisation and home to those working in the park.
 |
| En route to Tortuguero |
 |
| Tortuguero village dock |
I want time to explore the park, to appreciate the amazing wildlife, so have booked a little cabin, right on the beach. As I type the roar of the crashing Caribbean Sea is deafening, surf pounding the sand just yards away. The destination has been well worth every minute of the journey.
No comments:
Post a Comment