Thursday, March 10, 2016

San Juan Del Sur Day 2

Central America never ceases to amaze, the beaches here are breathtakingly gorgeous. San Juan del Sur is a lovely curved crescent bay but Playa Hermosa, to the North, is a true stunner. Miles of golden sand and crashing surf. I went today on impulse and was bowled over by the beautiful beach.
View from my balcony
Playa Hermosa
Over breakfast of banana pancakes and coffee I was chatting to people here who were setting off to Hermosa with their surf boards, so I joined them, hopping on the beach bus for the half an hour 's ride through barren forests. The country is in the grip of a bad drought, really obvious in the dry, brown countryside, and along the way we saw black howlers monkeys, shy creatures despite their cries, clearly visible in the stripped bare trees where now there is no place to hide.

Our destination was the only bar visible as far as the eye could see along this gorgeous beach. Whilst the surfers dived in I walked in the shallows, splashing along contentedly. The wind drove cream foam cushions up the shore like giant marshmallows.
Horses ( my nemesis) at sunset
A shady hammock, an iced coffee and endless sands stretching into the distance for exercise, just perfect. Back in time for the sunset, the daily spectacle I adore. Mid week the town is quiet, the bars are empty, the beaches are deserted, so I can appreciate the natural beauty of this my last corner of Nicaragua.
Deserted beach at sunset

These sunsets are amazing

I could see the coast of Costa Rica from playa Hermosa, one more day and that's where I'm heading!

No comments:

Post a Comment