Monday, March 21, 2016

Cahuita. Sunday. A day to count my blessings.

And so...for the first time ever during my travels, I have been mugged and robbed.
My wrist is sore where I was grappled from behind, my camera is gone as is my wallet as my backpack was stolen.
But fortunately I am safe and sound. My passport, my cards and most of my money is here in the cabin. It could have been much much worse in so many ways.
And despite the awful experience my abiding memories will be of the kindness of so many people.

It happened on a stretch of beach outside the main tourist area which is popular with locals and so on a Sunday was full of happy families. It seemed safe enough. I had walked contently for miles without a care in the world until suddenly a man jumped out of the coconut tree lining the sand and seized my arms.
It was the look in his eyes which will haunt me. I now know crack addiction is common and suspect this was it. I was terrified and instinctively swung my bag of my shoulder towards him.

Amazingly, it worked, he let me go, snatched it up and disappeared.
My screams drew people flocking to my aid. I was given water, made a bed of leaves to sit on, the police were called, women cuddled me and children ran to give me crackers and sweets and stroked my head.

Alas, my clothes were in my bag.  Feeling rather naked clad only in my bikini we waited an hour or so for the police ( fast by Costa Rica standards) who then got their pick up stuck in the sand.  Even I could appreciate this was farcical.

So for another 30 minutes various methods of extraction were tried, including tow ropes, wooden planks, leaves under the wheels, until eventually an ambulance appeared to take me to the clinic. That's the process (although they are supposed to arrive together) and I persuaded them to take me back to Cabinas Tito instead as I figured I didn't need a hospital, I needed to feel safe

The family here were wonderful, bringing me coconut water, hugging me, telling me not to worry about the key (obviously that had gone too.). They also negotiated with the tourist police station, a different division, to come out and write my report for insurance, as Cahuita police are notorious for ineptitude. As witnessed with the vehicle fiasco....

I have finally stopped crying, the shock kicked in and I sobbed for hours. But I know I was incredibly lucky. I am counting my blessings. I have lost only possessions, my photos were backed up, and I am not hurt.  I have much to be grateful for.

I sat this evening talking to Tito’s mother. We bonded about women's issues using broken spanglish and she told me Tito is out with the townsfolk looking for the perpetrator. I don't hold out much hope but I appreciate the gesture.

Crime in Costa Rica is on the rise, the wealthy tourists draw those with nothing. I hope whoever gets my shorts and my t shirt likes them! I am very sad about my camera. Also sad about my make up bag because it had my pretty tin Annie have me before I left, which had sentimental value.

But I am determined to count my blessings and be positive. Despite feeling sore, miserable , sunburnt after hours sitting on a beach in my bikini minus my clothes and suncream, and desperately homesick I am fine, which is all that matters in the end. Tomorrow is another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment