Friday, March 11, 2016

Notes on Nicaragua

My time in Nicaragua has come to an end and I will be sad to leave this mesmerising place. A tiny country but with such a great heart.

Nicaraguans have such a zest for life, a passionate enthusiasm for everything...family, food, sport, you name it they enjoy it with relish... and an endearing fierce national pride.

I loved Leon, had a great time in Granada, Ometepe was out of this world and San Juan is superb. As I sat on the beach bathed in the golden glow of my final sunset here tonight, I realised I have been completely captivated by this bewitching country. The scenery and cities are amazing but the soul of Nicaragua is its people. They have made me welcome everywhere.

This minute little country is so much more than I first realised, nothing like my original perception of a smaller, poorer, Guatemala. It is small, and it is poor, but it is also a beautiful, gentle, place. The ravages of the civil war I remember from my childhood are long forgotten, this is s county united in peace. I leave with so many happy memories from my time here.

Costa Rica awaits ..tomorrow the long haul over the border to San Jose and then Saturday the journey
onward to Tortuguero...

Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment