Sunday, March 20, 2016

Cahuita. A strange Saturday.

A strange day full of odd moments, from horrid to special.
The bad bits:
Nasty encounters whilst on an early morning hike through the national park.

1. My foot made contact with a very large alligator like species, hidden under loose sand on the trail.
I am not sure who moved quickest, him or me.
I’m going with it was only a harmless Cayman for peace of mind. Funnily enough there wasn't time to take a picture!

2. My face made contact with an enormous spider’s web, plus spider. Instinctively hitting it away I hit myself in the face with my camera which was on my wrist strap. Black eye but no spider bite.
No picture of that either!

Otherwise, despite the rain showers, the first for days, a great, if long, trek. By setting out soon after sunrise I finished the whole trail and back (around 12 km) surrounded by the rich exotic jungle life. Vivid butterflies, irridesecent birds, my best sighting yet of the gorgeous yellow toucan with his splendid beak. monkeys, etc . Fascinating variety of crabs underfoot -  all shapes and sizes.
Crabs everywhere
Plus the above two nasties. Glad I was wearing full covering, despite the heat, there are a lot of lurking dangers in the forest Humidity is the killer. I was wetter when the rain stopped, drenched in sweat in minutes.
By the time I stumbled exhausted out of the national park and into my cabin I was shattered. Unusually I’d walked in mostly solitude, so hadn't spoken to anyone all day.
Creeks
Sitting outside with a cuppa (yes, I am carrying a travel kettle, it's my most priced possession, I’d be lost without it) I was feeling rather old, homesick and lonely when a hummingbird cane to join me.

That's the special moment: these tiny things are so beautiful, it lifted my spirits and made me cry at the same time.
Weekends are harder alone as families are everywhere. Central America is devoutly Catholic and large families are the norm. As I walked back from my beach stroll tonight the townsfolk were gathering in groups for BBQs on the sand. But everyone is friendly, several women waved me over to join in with their picnic, but my limited Spanish makes it difficult. People are very kind.
Like Tortuguero, everyone knows everyone else here and as there I notice a subtle but distinct change in their attitude towards me when I become a familiar face. Now I am not a tourist, I am "English lady" and I value their acceptance. It makes me feel I am not so alone after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment